16 September 2010

Booking Through Thursday: Day and Night

Today’s question is suggested by Mae.
“I couldn’t sleep a wink, so I just read and read, day and night … it was there I began to divide books into day books and night books,” she went on. “Really, there are books meant for daytime reading and books that can be read only at night.”
- ‘The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera, p. 103.
Do you divide your books into day and night reads? How do you decide?

Categorising books that way wouldn’t occur to me, at least not on the basis of content (with one exception, see below). There are some books that I read only at home (i.e. mostly at night) - the ones that can’t be squeezed in among the piles of stuff I lug about in my handbag.

What I would call night books are ghost stories and suchlike hair-on-end volumes. In a perfect world, I’d always get to read them during evening power failures, maybe with a nice storm in the background. But even south-east Queensland’s tottering grid can’t be relied on to fail on cue, and I get impatient waiting, so I read my spooky books at any time.

4 comments:

  1. I am more or less a one book at a time reader, no matter whether it is day or night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said elsewhere..I read whatever I am reading anytime!

    Here is my Day and Night reply!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't read real scary books at night, but i don't read them anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of the books I read are not scary....then again, I am pretty hard to scare. I don't care for gore though. not because I am scared, it is just gross. I don't divide my books by day or night. Here is my answer for Booking Through Thursday.

    ReplyDelete

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Header image shows detail of A Young Girl Reading by Jean-Honoré Fragonard, c. 1776