23 September 2010

Booking Through Thursday: Current

What are you reading right now? What made you choose it? Are you enjoying it? Would you recommend it? (And, by all means, discuss everything, if you’re reading more than one thing!)

Right now I’m reading Why Shoot a Butler? by Georgette Heyer. I picked it up on my last visit to the library, first because it’s Georgette Heyer and second because of the title. After all, why would anyone shoot a butler? The ideal servant is so self-effacing you can’t imagine anyone noticing them enough to have a motive to kill them.

I’m halfway through and not really any the wiser, but I am thoroughly enjoying it. It’s fun watching the sparring between Shirley Brown and Frank Amberley; each is as blunt and ill-mannered and stubborn as the other. A perfect match, in other words, if they’ll ever admit as much.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that really is a great title! I've never read anything by Georgette Heyer, but she was a favorite of my mother's, so I've always wanted to give her a try. And this one sounds like a great book to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of this book. Hope your enjoying it. Here's my Booking Through Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:10 AM

    While I've never heard of Georgette Heyer, now I'm also really curious about why you would shoot a butler!

    Right now I'm reading four books (a Bob Dylan biography, a book on the court of Henry VII, a book on female sexuality in the 20th century, and a book on AIDS in Africa...random selection, I know), but the one I'm enjoying the most is No Direction Home: The Life and Music of Bob Dylan. I picked up this book because my BF's family are all huge Dylan fans and I wanted to understand why they liked his music so much. Although I'm still not sold on his music, his life and involvement in politics and writing is very interesting to learn about!

    ReplyDelete

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Header image shows detail of A Young Girl Reading by Jean-Honoré Fragonard, c. 1776