02 September 2010

Booking Through Thursday: Film to Paper?

Even though it’s usually a mistake (grin) … do movies made out of books make you want to read the original?

Absolutely! Books are almost always better than any adaptation; in the transition from page to screen stuff inevitably has to be cut ... and often something gets changed. After seeing the screen version it’s good to enjoy the original. (And if there have been significant cuts or alterations, it’s definitely best to do it in that order.)

I don’t watch many movies, so what usually happens is that I see the ads and reviews, notice that it was based on a book, and add the book to my mental must-read list.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, sometimes it really is better to see the film first, if it's really a lot different from the book. I've liked a lot of movies that were very different from the books they were based on - some books just don't translate to the screen very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I liked a movie, I'll look for the book. I don't always get it read beforehand, though I prefer to do it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only books that I couldn't read before I watched the movie were the Lord of the Rings books. Other than that I completely agree with you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Header image shows detail of A Young Girl Reading by Jean-Honoré Fragonard, c. 1776